Handbook Menu

12. Financial Matters

12.1 Bills

The Director of Admissions & Financial Aid is the best person at the Law School to ask about the University’s bills.

In general, though, bills are generated by the Bursar’s Office. Approximately three to four weeks before the beginning of each quarter, the University will send a bill for the next quarter. Scholarship and loan support is generally credited on the initial quarterly bill. Students are expected to pay the difference before the deadline. A second bill will arrive about two weeks after registration.

If you are unable to pay your bill, you must call Student Accounts (773-702-7086) in order to receive an extension. They are usually very accommodating when reasons for delay involve a loan processing problem or a personal problem. If you have difficulty with your bill after it is due, e.g., a returned check, you should also contact Student Accounts at 773-702-7086. Do not wait to resolve a problem.

Late Payment Fees

Failure to pay the first bill will result in late payment fees. In some cases, the Dean of Students may request that the late payment fee be waived. This will only be done if the student can establish in writing that there were circumstances beyond the student’s and the student’s family’s control.

Unsettled Accounts

A student who fails to settle any account due to the University will not be considered to be in good standing. Students with unsettled accounts will have their registration restricted. Until the restriction is lifted, a student cannot register, forfeits all library privileges, cannot access transcript or placement services, cannot have a valid Chicago Card, cannot graduate, and cannot receive a degree. In addition, the student loses health insurance coverage and may encounter problems with his or her bar applications.

Any of the following unsettled charges trigger a restriction: tuition, room and board, rental charges for University housing, or charges imposed for violation of University rules (such as library fines, parking fines, or late registration fees). Also included are loans from the University (whether derived from its own sources or under governmental programs). The University reserves the right to waive the application of this rule in appropriate cases.

12.2 Financial Aid

The Director of Admissions & Financial Aid or the Student Loan Administration (SLA) will assist students with financial aid issues. Students should contact SLA with loan questions and the Director of Admissions & Financial Aid with all other questions regarding financial aid.

Students who receive federal financial aid should note that they must demonstrate continuing progress in their program of study.  Student Loan Administration assesses progress by reviewing a student’s grades each quarter; specifically, SLA expects students on financial aid to have at least one graded class within 35 days of the conclusion of the exam period.  Thus, all students receiving financial aid are strongly encouraged each quarter to take at least one class that will be graded at the end of the quarter. 

Student Loans

Loan determinations are made by Graduate Financial Aid (https://financialaid.uchicago.edu/graduate), which is located on the in Walker Museum Room 309 (1115 East 58th Street). All questions regarding the awarding of student loans and loan applications should be directed to that office at gradfinaid@uchicago.edu or 773-702-6061.  

All loans are disbursed at the beginning of each quarter. Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Federal Direct PLUS loans must be paid out in three equal disbursements. Your loan will be applied to your tuition account, and any excess funds will be refunded to you for living expenses deposited directly to the checking or savings account of your choice if you sign up for direct deposit.  If you don't sign up for direct deposit, refund checks will be mailed to your current address on file.  Most refunds are available approximately one week prior to the first day of each quarter. 

Disbursement of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford, Federal Direct PLUS and Alternative Loan Funds

The timing of loan disbursements is contingent upon the timeliness of your application to Graduate Financial Aid.  Once loan funds are received at the University, your tuition account will be credited for the amount of the loan.  The Bursar's Office will generate a refund when loan funds applied to your tuition account exceed your costs. These funds are generally available approximately one week prior to the first day of classes. Refunds are either sent to your personal bank account (if you have signed up for direct deposit) or the Bursar will mail a check to your address on file. Funds received after the quarter begins will be applied to your tuition account as they arrive. Please visit the Bursar's web site at http://bursar.uchicago.edu/ for more information on the direct deposit service.


The Graduate Financial Aid office must return any loan funds that cannot be disbursed within three days of their receipt. Therefore, if you are not registered within the first three days of the quarter, or if you have not completed the entrance loan counseling requirement and you have not completed all required forms, your funds will be returned to your lender and you will have to reapply for them. It may then take up to an additional six weeks before the new loan is processed and you receive your funds.

Prior Education Loan Deferment

Students who have education loans from undergraduate or graduate study prior to entering the Law School may be eligible for deferments of interest and principal payments on these loans while they attend the Law School. Students with such loans should confirm with their lenders that their loans are eligible for educational deferment.

Additional Information

If you run into an unexpected financial emergency, please see the Director of Admissions & Financial Aid or the Dean of Students. Temporary emergency funds or loans may be available.

As an additional resource, students should visit the Law School Financial Aid web page at http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/financialaid or the Graduate Financial Aid web page at https://financialaid.uchicago.edu/graduate.