Student Organization Fundraising Campaigns
Many student groups depend on sponsorship from law firms for events and conferences. Courting these sponsors is not an easy task and takes dedication and follow up. Student organizations interested in securing law firm sponsorship must review and follow the policies outlined below. These policies will be posted to the Law School’s web site for easy access/reference; listed in the Student Handbook; and presented to organization leaders at an annual meeting
Steps for Soliciting Law Firm Sponsorships:
- Generate a budget and determine what sponsorships your group will need for events in the upcoming year.
- Research past giving to your group via transition documents, your student organization advisor, past board members, and the Student Affairs and External Affairs departments
- Create a specific ask letter for each sponsor using the suggested template (Word doc). Keep in mind past giving and feedback.
- Outline your group sponsorship levels (PDF).
- If three levels are given, Platinum, Gold, and Silver will be used.
- Each level will detail benefits of partnering with the organization on that level.
- Send your ask letter and list of firms/contacts to the Student Affairs and External Affairs office for approval: email@example.com
Process for Receiving Sponsorship Funds:
- The ask letter and outline of sponsorship levels should be accompanied by one of two supplemental documents:
- A summary listing (PDF) of all group events with date, time, and overview
- A major event break down
- When a law firm receives your letter and agrees to commit they will complete the Sponsorship Form (Word doc) provided with the ask letter.
- Once External Affairs receives the commitment via the Sponsorship Form, they will contact the Student Affairs office to notify the student organization of the funding . The student organization will follow up with an acknowledgement email. This allows Student Affairs and External Affairs to keep track of commitments and checks coming in.
- The sponsorship gifts will be processed through External Affairs and then transferred directly into the student group’s account.
If you have questions or if you been contacted directly by a firm asking to sponsor a program, you must contact Abby Siwak, Development Associate, firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. She will assist in the procurement of funds for your organization. LSSOs may not handle this process on their own.