Working at the Law School

This information is your guide to everything you need to know and do to begin working at the Law School. Questions? Email Brian Fitzpatrick, Dean's Office Administrator, at

Required Forms

All student employees are required to complete the student hiring form and to submit I-9 documentation to work for the Law School and to be enrolled in Workday. Workday is The University of Chicago’s HR/Payroll information system.

For the I-9, you will need to present original documents that authorize your right to work in the U.S. The easiest document to present is a U.S. passport, but there are other options listed in this link:

The completed student hiring form and I-9 documents should be brought to Brian Fitzpatrick in room A201 in the Dean's Suite before you begin working.

International Students: please view the page for International Students for information on the documents that you’ll need to provide.

Once in the system, you will receive an automated email from Workday wth additional online forms to complete. The completion of this online data is required in order for you to be paid.

Documents for International Students

I-9 Required Documents

Acceptable I-9 documentation for International Students:

If F-1:

  • Foreign passport, and,
  • I-94 form with an expiration date, and
  • I-20 form (this is a document they get from OIA)

If J-1:

  • Foreign passport, and
  • I-94 form with an expiration date, and,
  • DS 2019 form (this is document they get from OIA)

These are the ONLY documents that will provide the necessary authorization for F-1 and J-1 students. There is no other combination that will work.

Read more about how to electronically obtain the I-94 form.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

If you do not already have one, you will need to obtain a Social Security number.  You may begin work before obtaining your Social Security number, but cannot be paid until the Social Security office has issued you a card and you have presented it to Brian Fitzpatrick. Go to the OIA website for information on applying for a Social Security card.

Logging Hours

Once your Workday record is complete, you will begin recording your work hours in UChicago Time. Use your CNetID to login.

If there is a delay between when you start working and getting access to UChicago Time, contact Brian Fitzpatrick to provide him with information about the hours you have worked. Information he'll need includes:

  1. the date(s) you worked,
  2. the start/stop time for each date, and
  3. total hours for each date.

Read more about UChicago Time online training.

If you forget to clock in or out or do not have internet access when you are working, please let Brian Fitzpatrick know as soon as possible. Please note that the system locks at the end of every pay period after which you cannot record hours for the previous pay period.

Please be aware of these two labor regulations:

  1. If you’re working more than 7.5 hours in a stretch, you must take an “off-the-clock” break of at least 20 minutes no later than 5 hours into your shift.
  2. Working 7 days in a row is not permissable. There must be one day of no work effort in each 7-day period.

Finally, please keep in mind that UChicago Time is the only way we can verify law-related employment. When you apply for the bar, they will ask you to list any law-related employment and the dates you worked. The Law School will receive an affidavit to verify the dates of work as they were recorded in UChicago Time.

Getting Paid

If this is your first paid employment with the University, your first time getting paid will be in the form of a hard-copy check delivered to the Law School. The Law School will contact you to let you know you have a check for pick up.

Thereafter, you will need to decide whether you want to set up direct deposit or use a pay card. Read more about both options.

To sign up for direct deposit, complete these steps.

  1. Log into Workday
  2. Click on the PAY icon
  3. Actions, click on the Payment Elections
  4. Click on add account
  5. Enter account type: checking or savings, your bank name, routing transit number and account number
  6. Click “OK”

Personal Printing Account

For print/copy account, please contact IT help desk at Just let them know your start date and for whom you are working.

Please go to and take the necessary steps so that your personal printing account is not charged for the printing you do as an RA. It is your responsibility to install and use the necessary printers so that your personal account is not charged.