Safety & Emergency Contacts
In Case of Emergency
- Any phone: dial 773-702-8181
- Campus phone: dial 1-2-3
- Emergency phone: Press the red button. Campus has nearly 400 emergency phones; look for a blue light atop a white pole. (Map of phone locations.) When you press the red button, your location will be transmitted to the UCPD. You may speak to a dispatcher, or, if safety requires it, keep moving. Continue to use emergency phones as you move so police can follow your route. An officer or patrol car will come to your aid immediately.
Chicago Police Department: 911 or, from a campus phone, 9-911
University Dean-on-call and University Sexual Assault Dean-on-call
- The Dean-on-Call will respond to student emergencies and critical incidents 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- A separate Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call is also available around the clock and is trained as a Sexual Assault Survivor Advocate through the Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Students may call UCPD Dispatch at 773-702-8181 and ask for the Dean-on-call or Sexual Assault Dean-on-call or may reach the Dean-on-call or Sexual Assault Dean-on-call directly by calling 773-834-HELP (4357).
Urgent Medical Care: If you are unsure whether you require immediate medical attention or for urgent and after-hours medical advice, contact the Student Care Center Nurse Advice Line; 773-702-1915.
Student Counseling Service Staff Member on-call: Emergency, after-hours consultation; 773-702-3625.
Bias Response Team: If you believe you have been the victim of a bias incident – actions motivated by bias against an individual’s identity – call the Bias Response Team at 773.834.HELP(4357). Team members are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
cAlert system: In campus-wide emergencies, the University will notify the community through the cAlert system, which sends everyone an email if a life-threatening situation arises. You can sign up for text messages or phone calls as well.
Help.UChicago.edu: Comprehensive listings of emergency and crisis resources
Other Resources for Staying Safe
The University and the Law School provide a wealth of information and resources to help you stay safe and experience all that campus and the city have to offer.
On and around campus:
- The University of Chicago Safety and Security website is the online portal for the University of Chicago Police Department. On the site, you will find important contact numbers (773.702.8181 calls the police), as well as safety reports and resources (for example, how to register your bike or find a self-defense class).
- Request an escort: If you’re walking inside UCPD’s patrol area, which extends far past campus, you can call the police at 773.702.8181.
- UGo NightRide Shuttles: The University also runs a shuttle service all night along highly used routes. Visit the for more information; you may also check to see if a shuttle is nearby in real time by visiting http://uchicago.transloc.com.
- Common Sense, the University's guide to safe urban living.
In the Law School:
- We have a VCA (Visitor Control Attendant) on duty at the front desk each weekday evening from 5 p.m. to midnight (later during exams) and all day Saturday and Sunday. VCAs monitor building entry and may inspect bags. Any problems in the building should be reported to the VCA immediately.
- If you are parked in the Law School parking lot late at night, the VCA can watch you walk to your car.