Financial Aid FAQs

What kind of financial aid is available to me at the University of Chicago? 

Once you are admitted, the University of Chicago Law School will offer you a financial aid package that will equal the cost of attendance. Packages will include student loans and may also include scholarship funds. Scholarships are monies that do not need to be repaid. Loans, both federal and private, must be repaid after graduation. 

How do I apply for a Law School scholarship? 

You will be automatically considered for merit-based scholarships when admitted and there are no extra forms that you need to submit to the Law School. However, if you would like the Scholarship Committee to consider your financial need when determining your award, you will need to complete the UChicago Need Application and the FAFSA (if you are a US citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen). Parental financial information is required on UChicago Need Application for anyone who is 28 or younger at the time the application is submitted, even if your parent(s) will not be contributing financially to your law school education.

Please note: if there is some circumstance that you feel should be considered by the Scholarship Committee, it is important to submit that information in a timely manner directly to

How do I apply for student loans?

To be considered for Federal Direct student loans, you will need to complete a FAFSA for the applicable academic year. On the FAFSA, you will need to list the University of Chicago as a recipient school and enter the University's FAFSA school code: 001774. Students who complete the FAFSA to apply for Federal Direct student loan funding be packaged with Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan funding. For more information about these loan programs, please review the Types of Aid section on the Federal Student Aid website

If you prefer, you are welcome to apply for private student loans as well. Applications and terms for those private student loans are available directly with the lender. You can find more information about private student loans on the Financial Aid website.

Students are not required to accept all loans offered, but students can only borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid (i.e. federal loans, scholarships, outside resources, etc).

When should I apply for financial aid?  

  • Institutional Scholarship Financial Need Consideration (optional): Priority deadline for admitted students is March 1st or one week after you are admitted, whichever is later.
  • Federal Loans: May 31st priority deadline for admitted students who are not applying for institutional scholarship financial need consideration, as well as for continuing students.

How do I qualify for federal student loans?

As long as you are a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen, have never defaulted on a federal student loan, and have completed a FAFSA, you will qualify for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Direct Graduate PLUS loan requirements are the same, with the additional of a simple credit check performed by the Department of Education. 

Are all of these programs open to me if I am an international student?

Unfortunately, international students cannot participate in the federal student loan programs. However, you are still eligible for scholarships and may still apply for private student loans. It is important to note that the Law School cannot assist you in securing a private student loan and you must apply directly with private lenders. A U.S. cosigner may be required for you to secure funding with a U.S. lender. You can find more information about private student loans on the Financial Aid website.

How will I receive my financial aid package notification?

If you are an admitted student, your aid package will be emailed to the email address provided on your admissions application. Once you have submitted a tuition deposit, or if you are a continuing student, the official financial aid package that includes verified loan offers will be emailed to your University of Chicago email account.

When will I receive my financial aid package notification?

We will begin to release financial aid packages to admitted students in mid-March. If you are admitted later in the season, you will receive your aid package approximately two to three weeks after your admission.   

If you submit a seat deposit and have submitted a FAFSA, or you are a continuing student, we will release your official financial aid package that includes verified loan offers beginning in the early summer.

What if I have questions about my financial aid package?

If you have questions after reviewing your aid package, please email

Do you match scholarships offered by peer institutions?

As a general rule, we do not match scholarship awards from other institutions. However, we are committed to assisting admitted students truly interested in the University of Chicago Law School. To that end, we would be happy to discuss your situation and work through your concerns. Please email if you would like for us to review your award. We will then send you a link to an electronic form where you can provide additional information. Please understand that we have limited funds and cannot alter all awards. We will, however, do our best to make the University of Chicago Law School an option for you. 

Does the University of Chicago Law School offer any loan repayment assistance to students entering Public Interest?

Yes, we have a Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) which can assist graduates accepting Public Interest positions. We strive to offer graduates maximum flexibility and encourage anyone considering work in the public and not-for-profit sector to borrow only federal loans. LRAP assists with federal loans payments only.  You can also take maximum advantage of our assistance when you combine it with the Federal Public Service Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you would like to talk more about loan repayment assistance, please email the Financial Aid Office at 

Does the University of Chicago Law School participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, the Law School is proud to be a participant in the VA's Yellow Ribbon program and to provide an unlimited contribution for each qualifying participant. If you think that you may qualify, please make sure you request a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA showing your end service date and complete the application on the University Registrar’s webpage. You can find more information about VA educational benefits on the VA website.

Once I have decided to attend the University of Chicago Law School, how do I accept my financial aid package?

Once you have paid your deposit and completed your commitment form, you have accepted your Law School Scholarship offer. There's nothing more you need to do in regards to your scholarship.

To apply for federal student loans or private student loans, review the Application Steps on the Financial Aid website for more information on next steps.

What if I need more money than budgeted for me?

Students or applicants may submit an appeal to have the Law Financial Aid Office review their aid eligibility or financial aid package if they believe that their individual circumstances warrant further review. These special circumstances appeals are considered by the Law Financial Aid Office on an individualized, case-by-case basis. We cannot adjust your cost of attendance for consumer debt, car payments, moving and relocation expenses, and other such expenses, but some typical requests include for expenses such as a computer supplement, bar exam registration expenses, out of pocket medical expenses, and dependent daycare expenses.

Students and applicants are encouraged to reach out to the Law Financial Aid Office via email to discuss their situation. Students and applicants can also book an appointment with the Law Financial Aid Office if they would like to discuss their situation in more detail.

The University of Chicago Law School offers three-year institutional scholarship awards only. This means that we cannot offer scholarship funding later in your program. However, we will include notifications of outside scholarship opportunities in various newsletters that will be sent to you throughout your time at the Law School. We would encourage you to apply for as many outside scholarships as are appropriate, as each dollar received reduces your debt load. To start your search process, the AccessLex Institute has put together a wide rage of available outside scholarships for law students. 

Do I need to apply for loans each year?

Yes, you must complete a new FAFSA each year and you need to complete a Federal Graduate PLUS loan application if applicable to renew your loans. 

What if I am still confused and need more direction?

If you feel that you need more personalized attention, please feel free to contact us at or book an appointment online. We know that financial aid can be stressful and we are here to help you in any way we can.