The University of Chicago Law School is proud to include an interviewing program as a component of our application process. The interviewing component will complement the Law School’s holistic approach to evaluating applicants. Given our small class size, we are always seeking to build a class that will be diverse in every possible way, that will excel within our unique environment, and that will add to each students' law school experience. An interview will allow the Admissions Committee to learn more about an applicant’s background and personal story. It will also allow us to better assess an applicant’s communication skills, motivation, maturity, and contribution to the Law School as a student and as a member of our alumni community.
Interviews will be by invitation only. Although our goal is to interview as many potential members of our incoming class as possible, we will unfortunately not be able to offer interviews to all applicants.
Interview Invitation and Scheduling
- Applicants invited to interview will receive an email invitation from the Admissions Committee, which will provide instructions on scheduling the interview.
- Please check your various email folders as the invitation may be sent to a Promotions or Spam folder.
- Interview invitations will be sent after an application has received an initial review. Applicants will then have seven (7) days (or such other time as indicated by the Admissions Committee in its interview request) to schedule an interview.
- If an applicant has not scheduled an interview within the time indicated by the Admissions Committee in the interview invitation, the applicant's file will be returned to review and will be evaluated by the Admissions Committee without an interview.
- If an applicant chooses to interview with a member of the Admissions Committee, the applicant's file will not be further evaluated for admission until after the completion of the applicant's interview.
- You should continue to monitor the status of your application through the Online Status Checker. Your status will reflect that you have been invited to interview, that you have scheduled your interview, and that your application has been returned to review after your interview is complete.
Preparing for Your Interview
- Please be sure to read the FAQs to learn more about the Admissions Interviewing Program.
- All interviews will be conducted by members of the Admissions Committee.
- Interviews will last approximately 20 minutes. If time permits, the interviewer will leave a few minutes at the end for your questions.
- Please plan to conduct your interview in a private place without background noise (e.g., dorm room, study room in a library, etc.).
- Try to avoid having too much light behind you, as that can make the image poor.
- Make sure that your computer has enough battery life for up to 30 minutes, or is plugged into a power source.
- Be at your computer and logged into Skype five (5) minutes before your scheduled interview time.
- Make sure to exit out of any other noise-making programs on your computer.
- A representative of the Law School will call you on Skype at the scheduled time. Their Skype Name will contain the term “UChicago.” Please note that you need to accept the contact request from your interviewer before your interview can begin.
- If you get disconnected, your interviewer will attempt to reconnect via Skype one time. If you are not able to connect at that time, your interviewer will call you on the alternate number that you provided when scheduling your appointment.
Interview Technology – Skype
- We will conduct all interviews by Skype.
- A Skype teleconference requires:
- A webcam
- Built in or separate microphone and speakers
- Internet Connection (preferably broadband). For basic video calling, you will need a minimum download/upload speed of 128 kbps/128kbps, although recommended download/upload speed is 300 kpbs/300 kpbs. The higher the internet speed the better (e.g., if the option is available, it may be preferable to plug in an Ethernet cord rather than going wireless).
- Skype installed on your device (download)
- We suggest you conduct a trial run with someone before your scheduled interview, to make sure the sound and video are working properly.
- Applicants with disabilities in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the interview should email firstname.lastname@example.org.