FAQs: Transcripts

What is the Admissions Committee looking for when reviewing transcripts?

We are looking for evidence that the applicant has the discipline, work ethic, and intellectual ability to handle a demanding academic program. We like to see you have taken a well-rounded, challenging course load. We do not prefer any set curriculum or particular major. The most important thing is you have demonstrated intellectual curiosity, a commitment to academics, and you have done well.

How does the Admissions Committee evaluate transcripts?

The Admissions Committee primarily uses your cumulative GPA as calculated by the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). We also look at the GPA at your undergraduate degree institution, the GPA within your major, the percentile ranking in comparison to other law school candidates from the same institution (as reported by CAS), academic honors, the difficulty of the academic program, the academic quality of the degree-conferring institution, and any trends in your academic performance. Because we consider many factors, our admitted students show considerable GPA variation and we accept students from a wide range of undergraduate institutions. 

May I attach an addendum to explain my record?

If you have weaknesses in your academic record or any significant trends, you may explain the circumstances in a brief addendum you can upload to your application through LSAC. If you believe the Admissions Committee may have some questions or concerns when reviewing your academic record, it is best to explain the circumstances in an addendum.

How does the Admissions Committee evaluate graduate school transcripts?

The Admissions Committee will review and consider all graduate school transcripts. While strong graduate school performance is a positive factor for your application, it will not necessarily offset a poor undergraduate record.

How do I submit foreign transcripts?

If you attended a foreign undergraduate institution, your foreign transcripts must be submitted through the CAS. If you completed any post-secondary work outside the U.S. (including its territories) or Canada, you must use this service for the evaluation of your foreign transcripts. The one exception to this requirement is if you completed the foreign work through a study abroad, consortium, or exchange program sponsored by a U.S. or Canadian institution, and the work is clearly indicated as such on the home campus transcript. A Foreign Credential Evaluation will be completed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), which will be incorporated into your CAS report.