Other Aid Options

Veteran's Educational Benefits

Some students are eligible to use their Montgomery GI Bill, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, including Yellow Ribbon Program benefits, or other veteran educational benefits. Students who are veterans and who believe they may be eligible for these benefits should contact the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) at 1.888.GIBill1 or 1.888.442.4551) to determine eligibility and type of benefit option available. The VA website has useful information for veterans seeking educational benefits.

The VA will send the Montgomery GI Bill benefits directly to the student after the University of Chicago has confirmed enrollment.

The VA will send the Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition and mandatory fee benefit amounts directly to the institution and the student will receive the monthly housing allowance and the book stipend directly from the VA after the University of Chicago has certified the student’s enrollment.

The Law School has committed to making institutional Yellow Ribbon Program funding available to all law students who are eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits at the maximum level (100%). If you think that you may qualify, please make sure you request a Certificate of Eligibility from your Veterans Administration office showing your end service date and complete the application on the University Registrar’s webpage. 

Eligibility for VA educational benefits will not be reduced by the amount of any federal Direct Unsubsidized loan or federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan funds you have been offered or have accepted. Conversely, VA benefits will not reduce eligibility for the federal loan programs although it is recommended that a student consider the amount of VA funding received when determining how much federal student loan funding to accept.

As the VA is the last payer of tuition and mandatory fees, the following funds will reduce a veteran’s eligibility for VA benefits:

  • Waivers or reduction in tuition and fees by the University of Chicago
  • Grants and scholarships awarded by the University of Chicago
  • Scholarship funds awarded by private organizations
  • Tuition reimbursement provided by employers and/or other sources
  • Tuition rebates/reductions provided by the University of Chicago to its employees

Eligible students will be provided their College Financing Plan via.my.UChicago for each academic year once tuition and fees are finalized for the applicable academic year or once the Financial Aid Office becomes aware of their eligibility for VA educational benefits, whichever comes first. The College Financing Plan will outline the student's anticipated financial aid eligibility for the academic year, including institutional funding, estimated VA educational benefits, and federal student loan funding (if the student has submitted the FAFSA for the academic year). More information about tuition, fees, and other costs can be found on our website.

Segal Education Award

If you are a Teach for America or AmeriCorps member or alum, you can use your Segal Education Award to help cover your Law School expenses. Apply for your funding through my.Americorps and select to apply the funding towards your educational expenses at the University of Chicago Law School. The Financial Aid Office will receive an automatic notification of your award and will process it on your aid package and notify you with an email to your UChicago email account. More information about the Segal Education Award can be found on the AmeriCorps website.

Employer Tuition Assistance Benefits

Students who report employer tuition assistance benefits to the Financial Aid Office will see the benefit included on their financial aid packages. You can report this assistance in your my.UChicago portal by navigating to "My Financial Aid" and clicking "Report Aid from Other Sources". 

The untaxed amount is seen as a resource and the student cannot borrow against it. The taxed amount is seen as income, is not considered a resource, and therefore is not reflected as such on the financial aid package, and the student may borrow against it.

In order to have the benefit reflected in your tuition bill, you must report the benefit to the Bursar's Office as well. You can find more information about reporting tuition assistance benefits to the Bursar's Office on their website.