General Graduation Information
Graduating Students must be sure to visit Preparing for Graduation link and the After Graduation link listed in the menu above.
Graduating students are invited to attend two separate graduation ceremonies: the University's Convocation Ceremony and the Law School's Diploma & Hooding Ceremony. Both ceremonies will be held, rain or shine, on June 9, 2018.
Visit the University's website for Spring Quarter Convocation to download a copy of the brochure.
- Will begin at 9:15 a.m. in the Main Quadrangle.
- The University Convocation includes the Law School and all other University divisions.
- The ceremony runs approximately two hours and is controlled entirely by the Office of University Events and Ceremonies.
- Seating to accommodate approximately 20,000 guests will be available in the Main Quad.
- Television screens placed throughout the Main Quad allow guests at a distance from the stage to view the proceedings.
- Additional Information about the University's Convocation Ceremony can be found at: http://convocation.uchicago.edu.
Law School's Diploma & Hooding Ceremony
- Will be held at Rockefeller Chapel beginning at 11:30 a.m., or 30 minutes following the end of Convocation (whichever is later).
- Doors open for the ceremony at 10:45 a.m.
- All guests must have a ticket to enter Rockefeller Chapel.
- No guests will be admitted after the ceremony has begun.
- The Law School simulcasts the Diploma and Hooding Ceremony into the Law School Auditorium. The simulcast also can be viewed online anywhere around the world (see below).
- The Diploma & Hooding Ceremony lasts approximately one hour and fifteen minutes.
- The Law School hosts a reception for graduates and their guests immediately following the Diploma and Hooding Ceremony.
- The Law School simulcasts the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony into the Law School Auditorium.
- The doors to the Auditorium open at 10:45 a.m.
- All guests must have a ticket to enter the Auditorium.
- The weblink to view the Simulcast of the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony will be added here when it becomes available.
Students should visit the Preparing for Graduation link to learn how to obtain tickets to the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony.
Assembling to March
Graduates will assemble in Harper Quadrangle by 8:15 a.m. for the University-wide Ceremony (including the Law School and all academic divisions). Three tents along the perimeter of the Main Quad and signs will direct graduates. The Quad opens at 7:00 a.m. Guests need to be seated by 9:00 a.m. No tickets are required for the University Ceremony. Immediately following Convocation, graduates must walk to the East side of Rockefeller Chapel to line up for the Law School Diploma & Hooding Ceremony.
Law School Diploma & Hooding Ceremony
Plan to arrive between 10:00-11:00 a.m. Graduates who fail to arrive at Rockefeller Chapel on time and miss the line up will not participate in the ceremony. Lineup is located on the East side of Rockefeller Chapel under a large white tent. Do not follow the faculty, as they line up in a different area.
Photos and Video
The Law School hires professional photographers to take photos of the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony. Among other photos, photographers will take individual photos at Rockefeller Chapel as students are hooded and receive their diplomas. The official portraits and other ceremony photos of the graduates will be available for purchase online in early July at http://www.wyckoffportraits.com/clients2/clients/. Select "University of Chicago Graduation Ceremony Portraits." Ask your graduate for the password which will be emailed to them in July when photos become available online.
In addition, all photos of the graduation festivities taken by our residential photographer Lloyd DeGrane will be uploaded to a UChicago Law Flickr album available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/uchicagolaw/albums. All photos can be downloaded free of charge.
The Law School provides graduating students with the opportunity to participate in the annual class composite. Graduating students interested in taking a class composite photo can do so at the Law School in February. Graduating students will be able to purchase headshots and the class composite photo if they wish.
The University Convocation Ceremony and the Law School Diploma & Hooding Ceremony will both be videotaped. Graudates will receive information on how to purchase a DVD of the ceremonies. There is no obligation to purchase. The videos can be viewed free of charge on YouTube a few weeks after the ceremonies.
As a courtesy to candidates, families, and friends, please note the following:
- Large bags and backpacks are not permitted in Rockefeller Chapel. All bags are subject to inspection before entering.
- Items that may disrupt other guests from seeing or hearing the ceremony are not permitted.
- Strollers are not permitted in Rockefeller Chapel.
- Complimentary water cooler stations will be available throughout Rockefeller Chapel. Guests are encouraged to bring a reusable bottle to use throughout the day.
- A large video screen will be placed in Rockefeller Chapel to provide optimal viewing of the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony.
- Guests must have tickets to enter Rockefeller Chapel and the Law School Auditorium Simulcast.
- Guests will not be admitted to Rockefeller Chapel after the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony has started.
- The Law School Diploma & Hooding Ceremony guest seating in Rockefeller Chapel and Simulcast in the Auditorium begins at 10:45 a.m. The doors do not open before that time.
- University Convocation Ceremony guest seating in the Main Quadrangle begins at 7:00 a.m., and entry gates will be located on Ellis Avenue between 57th and 59th. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis, and we recommend early arrival for best seating. All guests are requested to be in their seats by 9:00 a.m.
Parking and Transportation
The Law School's parking lot and all open surface parking lots on campus will be open to all parkers on June 9 but availability is extremely limited. In addition, street parking near the Law School will be available. Parking rates for the Ellis Garage can be found here. Graduates concerned about parking should plan to arrive early.
Street parking is available on the Midway Plaisance, as well as on nearby streets around campus. The University parking structure is located on 55th Street, with entrances on Ellis Avenue. In addition, the University of Chicago Hospitals operates a paid parking facility located at 59th Street and Maryland Avenue.
After the University Convocation Ceremony, the University provides buses to help transport elderly guests and guests with mobility concerns to the Diploma and Hooding Ceremony.
University of Chicago Gear, Class Rings, and Diploma Frames
The Chicago Law Foundation (CLF) sells the majority of Law School branded merchandise. CLF will host a merchandise sale at the Diploma & Hooding Ceremony Reception at the Law School. A limited variety of items can be purchased online at http://thechicagolawfoundation.org/. The University Barnes & Noble Bookstore sells a handful of Law School branded items, class rings, diploma frames, and other graduation themed merchandise. Purchases can be made both online at http://uchicago.bncollege.com and in person.
Please contact Balfour, (800) 433-0296, to order graduation announcements. Graduates also can order announcements online at www.CBgrad.com.
Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 773-834-4279.
Class of 2018 Gift Campaign
The Class of 2018 Gift Campaign is a student-led initiative supporting the Law School Annual Fund. Members of the Class of 2018 join together to make a Class Gift, a collective class contribution to the Law School. The Class Gift focuses on participation, not dollars raised. It is the act of giving that is important – gifts of any size make a big difference.