Abrams Environmental Law Clinic
The Abrams Environmental Law clinic attempts to solve some of the most pressing environmental problems throughout Chicago, the State of Illinois, and the Great Lakes region. On behalf of clients, the clinic challenges those who pollute illegally, fights for stricter permits, advocates for changes to regulations and laws, holds environmental agencies accountable, and develops innovative approaches for improving the environment. Through clinic participation, students learn substantive environmental law and procedures for addressing concerns through the courts or administrative tribunals. Students develop a number of core advocacy competencies, such as counseling clients, spotting issues, conducting factual investigations, performing practical legal research, advocating through written and oral communications, planning cases, managing time, and addressing ethical issues and dilemmas. In addition, students develop an appreciation for the range of strategic and tactical approaches that effective advocates use. Some matters will be best resolved in front of a judge, others in an adversarial hearing, others through face-to-face meetings with government officials, and others by putting public pressure on a polluter or administrative agency. Any given matter may require the use of one or more of these approaches simultaneously or sequentially, although in general, the clinic will deploy adversarial approaches to help achieve its clients’ objectives.
Students who want to learn more about the Abrams Environmental Law Clinic may contact Professor Templeton for more information.
- Notice of Intent to Sue for Violations of the Clean Water Act
- Amicus Brief of Steven Gaw and Steven Weisman in North Dakota v. Heydinger
- Joint Letter to SEC on Corporate Disclosures
- Joint Letter to SEC on Corporate Disclosures, Attachment
- Freeing Energy Data: A guide for regulators to reduce one barrier to residential energy efficiency
- Memorandum Supporting Request by Oceana and University of Chicago Abrams Environmental Law Clinic for Formal Investigation into Disclosures Made by Royal Dutch Shell PLC About Its U.S. Arctic Ocean Program