Affinity Mentoring Programs
The Law School is pleased to facilitate mentoring relationships between 1Ls and alumni by pairing first year students with alumni mentors in the Chicago area. These mentoring programs are intended to provide students with the tools to guide their success in the legal profession and to better connect them with the Chicago legal community.
Please see below for more details for each affinity program. Recruitment for the 2018-19 programs will begin in early fall 2018. Watch for emails with more information.
- APALSA Mentoring Program
- BLSA Mentoring Program
- LLSA Mentoring Program
- OutLaw Mentoring Program
- Women's Mentoring Program
Hear from former mentees about their experiences in the program in the Mentee Testimonials document.
Please contact Erin Howard, Assistant Director, Alumni Relations, at (773) 834-8652 or email@example.com with any questions.
What is an Alumni Mentoring Program?
Alumni Mentoring Programs provide students with the tools to guide their success in the legal profession and to better connect them with the Chicago legal community. Mentoring programs allow students to meet and network with alumni in legal professions within a specific affinity group.
Which affinity groups will host mentoring programs during the 2018-19 year?
- Asian Pacific American Law Students Association (APALSA)
- Black Law Students Association (BLSA)
- Latino/a Law Students Association (LLSA)
- Women’s Mentoring Program
Who participates in the program?
Mentoring programs are open to all incoming JD students interested in being mentored by a UChicago alumnus/alumna or attorney working in Chicago. Mentors are recruited by the sponsoring affinity group student organizations and the Office of External Affairs.
What is expected of me as a mentee?
The mentoring programs span the length of the academic year. Therefore, we ask that all mentees commit to being involved in the program from November 2018 through June 2019.
Your level of involvement with your mentor is entirely up to you and your mentor. Please remember that mentors have very busy schedules and that their time is valuable. During your first meeting, we encourage you and your mentor to discuss your expectations for the year with each other, including meeting/discussion frequency, meeting location and medium for communication. The Law School will provide more information to guide your mentorship.
Be respectful of the time commitment required of mentors and make sure to respond promptly to communications, be punctual to events, and honor all commitments. We hope that at a minimum you will:
- Meet in person with your mentor once each quarter;
- Participate in one or more group events; and
- Communicate with your mentor via email or phone periodically as agreed upon by you and your mentor
We hope your mentoring relationship continues past your 1L year.
Can I participate in more than one mentoring program?
Students may participate in a maximum of two Alumni Mentoring Programs to ensure the best experience for both student mentees and alumni mentors. The Law School Big/Little Sibling program is not included in this limitation.
Are there program-sponsored events?
Each mentoring program will offer approximately one mentor-mentee networking event each quarter. Events are scheduled by the sponsoring student organization and may vary by program.
How do I sign up?
- Friday, October 12 at 5pm: Deadline to sign up as a mentee
- Mid-October (Date TBA) at 12:15pm: “Tips and Tricks for your Mentor-Mentee Relationships” lunchtime program
- Late October: Mentees will receive an email introducing them to their mentor
- Tuesday, November 13: The Law School will host a Mentoring Kickoff Event
Who should I contact with additional questions?
To reach the Office of External Affairs, please contact Erin Howard, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, please feel free to reach out to student organization leaders:
- APALSA Mentoring Program: Donna Kwon, email@example.com; Lauren Nudelman firstname.lastname@example.org
- BLSA Mentoring Program: Morgan Arthur, email@example.com
- LLSA Mentoring Program: Eugenia Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org
- OutLaw Mentoring Program: Jackson Wimberly, email@example.com
- Women’s Mentoring Program: firstname.lastname@example.org