Legal Matters in the Web3 Economy at the University of Chicago Law School
1111 East 60th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637
This invitation-only conference will bring together leading blockchain and cryptocurrency attorneys. On Friday, guests will participate in a full suite of roundtables to workshop foundational legal issues facing their clients. Organized around archetypical businesses in the Web3 economy, roundtable topics will include centralized and decentralized exchanges, DeFi lending, Web3 and Layer 2 applications, and stablecoins. Each roundtable will be introduced by a practitioner with deep, firsthand experience.
Dates and Times
Please plan to land by 6 p.m. on Thursday, January 19 to attend the dinner that day. The final reception on Friday, January 20 is optional so you can catch a flight departing as early as 8 p.m. on Friday. Estimates are based on arrival at Midway airport. For O’Hare flights, please add an extra 30-60 minute cushion.
We recommend that you reserve your lodging as soon as possible at the Study at the University of Chicago (preferred), Sophy Hyde Park, or the Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center.
If you plan to make other arrangements for lodging, please let us know.
Additional information about these hotels is available.
Travel to/from hotel
We recommend using a transportation service (e.g., Lyft/Uber) to get to and from the airport and the hotel to the conference venue. For those who live in Chicago, let us know if you will be driving to the event. Parking will be available, but we have to get parking passes for you.
Additional information about travel to and from Chicago area airports is available.
Please do not hesitate to contact Erin Hoffman if you have any questions about travel.
Thursday’s dinner and keynote will take place at the Rubenstein Forum Room 701, University of Chicago, 1201 E 60th St, Chicago, IL 60637.
Friday’s events will take place in Room V at the Law School (1111 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637) unless otherwise noted.
Each session will have 2 speakers talking for 25 minutes apiece, 40 minutes of small roundtable-style discussions, 40 minutes of general Q&A. The order of sessions and some titles are tentative and subject to change.
Thursday, January 19, 2023
Dinner and Keynote
- Rubenstein Forum, Room 701
Paul Grewal, General Counsel, Coinbase
- Dinner and Keynote
Friday, January 20, 2023
Session 1: Layer 1, layer 2, infrastructure
with speakers Rich Widmann, Head of Strategy, Web3, Google, and Rodrigo Seira, Crypto Counsel, Paradigm
- Law School Green Lounge
Session 2: Centralized exchanges, custodial services
with speakers Katie Trkla, Partner, Foley & Lardner LLP, and Lilya Tessler, Partner, Sidley & Austin
- SEC Fact Sheet explaining high level the SEC’s proposal to expand the scope of Reg ATS and the definition of exchange
- Letter submitted by the Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association (GDCA) commenting on the SEC proposal
- Two sections from the ABA IDPPS paper on Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdiction Issues
- Section 2 Commodity Exchange Act and CFTC Regulation
- Section 5 Need for a Better CFTC and SEC Regulatory Scheme
- Table extracted from Section 2 of the ABA paper on Allocation of Jurisdiction between the CFTC and SEC
- CFTC, Retail Commodity Transactions Involving Certain Digital Assets (Final interpretive guidance) (June 24, 2020)
- CFTC enforcement order against BitMex (Aug. 2021)
- CFTC enforcement complaint against A. Eisenberg alleging manipulative conduct on Mango Markets and related oracle exchanges (Jan. 9, 2023)
- Framework for “Investment Contract” Analysis of Digital Assets (Apr. 3, 2019)
- Joint Staff Statement on Broker-Dealer Custody of Digital Asset Securities, (July 8, 2019)
- Letter to Ms. Kris Dailey, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, ATS Role in the Settlement of Digital Asset Security Trades, (September 25, 2020)
- No action letters
- TurnKey Jet, Inc. (Apr. 3, 2019)
- Pocketful of Quarters, Inc. (July 25, 2019)
- Paxos Trust Company, LLC (October 28, 2019)
- Custody of Digital Asset Securities by Special Purpose Broker-Dealers, Release No. 34-90788, (April 27, 2021)
- SEC Staff Statement on WY Division of Banking’s “NAL on Custody of Digital Assets and Qualified Custodian Status”, SEC, (Nov. 9, 2020)
- OCC Conditionally Approves Conversion of Anchorage Digital Bank, (January 13, 2021)
Session 3: Decentralized exchanges, DeFi
with speakers Marc Boiron, General Counsel, Polygon and Lewis Cohen, Founder, DLx Law
- Law School Green Lounge