Winter 2018 Registration Quick Guide
Registration for Law School classes takes place in several steps, listed below. It is important to understand all of these steps so you can be sure to have the best chance at enrolling in all of the classes for which you are eligible. Please read through the steps below, and then refer, if needed, to the full Winter 2018 Registration Instructions for more in-depth information about these processes.
Please note: All times listed below reflect Chicago time.
- Planning – There are a number of resources available, including the Student Handbook, Announcements, and a great deal of information available at the Law School’s web site to help you with planning your schedule and your degree program.
- Bidding/Initial Registration: Monday, November 13, Noon – Thursday, November 16, Noon
- You do not need to bid or register for continuing classes (e.g., clinics). Your registration for continuing classes will carry over automatically.
- Access bidding through the student portal, my.UChicago, under the Resources tab – The Law School/Class Bidding.
- Access registration for non-limited enrollment (non-biddable) classes by clicking on “My Classes.” Biddable classes and full classes will show up as CLOSED in this system while bidding is going on.
- During this period, you may bid for up to five limited enrollment classes, while at the same time enrolling in non-limited enrollment classes. The number of non-limited enrollment classes in which you enroll will impact the number of bid classes you will receive. Your combined enrollments can be no more than 14 credits.
- Bid results will be available after 5:00 PM, Monday, November 20.
- Continuing Registration: Tuesday, November 21, 9:00 AM– Friday, December 15, 5:00 PM
- During this period, you may complete your registration, enrolling in no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 credits (see note above re: 14 credits).
- WINTER CLASSES BEGIN TUESDAY, JANUARY 2, 2018 (one day before the rest of campus)
- Add/Drop Period: Tuesday, December 26, 9:00 a.m.– Friday, January 5, 5:00 PM
- The deadline to drop a limited enrollment class without a “W” is Tuesday, January 9 at 12:00 PM. The deadline to drop abbreviated classes that conclude prior to the end of the Online Add/Drop Period or start after the end of the Online Add/Drop Period without a “W” is the end of the first day the class meets.
- Instructor Approved Add/Drop: Monday, January 8, 9:00 AM – Tuesday, January 16 at 5:00 PM. In this period, you may only add or drop with faculty consent. This consent must be e-mailed to email@example.com. If you drop a limited enrollment (bid) class after Tuesday, January 9 at 12:00 p.m., you will receive a W in that class.
- Withdrawal Period: After 5:00 PM, on Tuesday, January 16, any drops will be considered withdrawals. You must receive permission to do so from both the instructor and the Dean of Students and you will receive a W grade for that course.
- After Last Day of Classes: No drops or withdrawals are allowed after 5:00 PM on the last day of regularly scheduled classes (or the last class meeting day for abbreviated classes).