Sheri Lewis became Director of the D’Angelo Law Library in 2013 after serving 12 years as Associate Law Librarian for Public Services. She has been a librarian since 1994 and has worked at several law school libraries.
Ms. Lewis is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Northwestern University and a graduate of New York University School of Law, where she was chairperson of the Moot Court Board and was elected to Order of the Barristers. Following law school, she served as law clerk to the Hon. Robert L. Miller Jr., Northern District of Indiana, and then practiced law with the firm of Lord, Bissell and Brook in Chicago.
Ms. Lewis is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) and the Chicago Association of Law Libraries (CALL). She has served as president of CALL and has served as chair of sections and committees of the national association, AALL. Ms. Lewis is a co-author of two CALI (Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction) lessons on legal research and has written various articles on law librarianship. She teaches Advanced Legal Research at the University of Chicago Law School.
Rosary College (now Dominican University)
Master of Library and Information Science, 1994
- Beta Phi Mu
New York University School of Law
- Order of Barristers
- Chairperson, Moot Court Board
- Public Interest Law Grant Recipient
- Jessup International Moot Court Competition
BA with distinction, 1986
- Major: Russian
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean's List
- Resident Assistant
- University Guild Scholar
- President, International Studies Residential College
D'Angelo Law Library, The University of Chicago Law School
Associate Law Librarian for Public Services, 2001-2013
Law Archives/Reference Librarian (temporary), 1994
Volunteer Student Intern, Public Services, 1994
Furman Smith Law Library, Mercer University
Associate Law Librarian for Research Services, 1996-2001
DePaul University College of Law Library
Reference/Computer Services Librarian, 1995-1996
Lord, Bissell & Brook, Chicago, IL
Associate, Medical Litigation Department, 1991-1993
United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert L. Miller, Jr., 1989-1991
New York University School of Law
Research Assistant to Professor Richard F. Sherwin, 1987-1988
- "A Three-Tiered Approach to Faculty Services Librarianship in the Law School Environment," 94 Law Library Journal 89 (2002). cu
- "Ten Things for Law Librarians to Do When Managing Technology," Connecting __ (2001). cu
- "We're Hiring: Designing IT Job Descriptions to Attract the Very Best Feature: New Realities, New Roles: Program Reviews from AALL's 94th Annual Meeting and Conference in Minneapolis, July 14-19, 2001: G-3," 6 AALL Spectrum 33 (2001). cu
- "Leadership Skills for the Law Library Manager," 2 AALL Spectrum 16 (1997). cu
Presenter, Panel of Newer Law School Library Directors, Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School, 2014.
Moderator, AALL Webinar: "Rethinking Reference Horizons: Opportunities & Challenges?" 2012.
Moderator, AALL Webinar: "Continuing Professional Education Grants," 2012.
Presenter, Poster Session: "Electronic Stacks Maintenance: Mobile Shelf Reading at the University of Chicago," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
Coordinator, CALL Program: "Adding Value to Your Organization: Non-Traditional Roles of Law Librarians," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Denver, CO, 2010.
Moderator, "Changing Collection Policies, Chicago Legal Academic System (CLAS) Collection Development Workshop," 2010.
Panelist/Presenter, First Year Writing Seminar, Jenner & Block, Chicago, IL, 2006 and 2007.
Speaker, "Librarians, Vendors or Both? Who Should be Teaching Westlaw and Lexis to First Year Law Students?" AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2007.
Participant/Panelist, New Associate Legal Research Skills Roundtable sponsored by Thomson West, Chicago, IL, 2006.
Panelist, "Future of Legal Research,: Conference, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2005.
Coordinator, Planning Committee, Chicago Legal Academic System (CLAS) Enhanced Services, Workshop, 2004.
Program Coordinator and Moderator, "CreativeCommons.org: Publishing in the Digital Age," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Boston, MA, 2004.
Coordinator, CALL Law Library Advocacy Workshop, Chicago, IL, 2004.
Coordinator, CALL Basic Legal Research Workshop, Chicago, IL, 2004.
Invited Moderator, Conference for Newer Law Librarians, "Ask the Experts Discussion," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Seattle, WA, 2003.
Coordinator/Moderator, "Gateways Through the Vendor Maze: Using Technology (and Other Tricks) to Manage Legal Publishers," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Philadelphia, PA, 2000.
Speaker, "Creating Instructional Materials for Law Libraries: Teaching Through the Computer," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Anaheim, CA, 1998.
Coordinator/Moderator, :Create a Technology Plan in Two Hours, More or Less," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Anaheim, CA, 1998.
Presenter, "The Compleat Internet Researcher: Advanced Strategies and Techniques," AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Baltimore, MD, 1997.
Coordinator/Moderator," Are We All Becoming Computer Services Librarians?" AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Indianapolis, IN, 1996.
Supreme Court of Illinois, 1989
Northern District of Indiana, 1991
Northern District of Illinois, 1992
Awards and Appointments
- Chicago Association of Law Libraries (CALL), Agnes and Harvey Reid Award for Outstanding Contribution to Law Librarianship, 2010-2011
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), Kenneth J. Hirsh CS-SIS Distinguished Service Award, 2009
- Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI), First Place Law Librarian Division, Donald Trautman Lesson Writing Competition, 1999
- Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI), First Place Law Librarian Division, Donald Trautman Lesson Writing Competition, 1997
- Oxford University Press Library Advisory Council, 2014
- EBSCO Publishing Legal Studies Advisory Board, Charter Member, 2013-2014
- Thomson Reuters Westlaw Law School Advisors’ Forum, 2012
- Thomson West Legal Research and Writing Advisory Board, 2007-2009
Professional Association Leadership
American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- Continuing Professional Education Committee, 2010- 2013; Chair, 2012-2013
- Council of Chapter Presidents, 2008-2009
- Publications Committee, 2002-2004; Chair, 2003-2004
- Awards Committee, 1998-2000
- New Product Award Subcommittee, Chair, 1999-2000
AALL Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section (SIS)
- Task Force on Identifying Skills and Knowledge for Legal Practice, 2011-2013
- Collection Development Committee, 2006-2008
AALL Computing Services Special Interest Section (SIS)
- Past Chair, 2001-2002
- Chair, 2000-2001
- Vice Chair/Chair-Elect, 1999-2000
- Strategic Planning Committee, 1998-1999, 2010-2012, Chair, 2008-2009
- Nominations Committee, 2002-2006, 2009-2010
- Awards Committee, 2002-2007
- Ad Hoc Name Change Committee, Chair, 2005-2006
AALL Research Instruction and Patron Services Special Interest Section (SIS)
- Strategic Planning Task Force, Chair, 2005-2006
- Executive Board, 2003-2005
- Research Instruction Committee, Chair, 2001-2002
Chicago Association of Law Libraries (CALL)
- Past President, 2009-2010
- President, 2008- 2009
- Vice President/President-Elect, 2007-2008
- Corporate Memory Committee, Chair, 2011-2013; Member 2014
- Nominations Committee, Chair, 2010-2011
- Strategic Planning Committee, 2009-2011, Chair, 2008-2009
- Grants and Awards Committee, Chair, 2009-2010
- Continuing Education Committee, 1994-1995, 2002-2006
University of Chicago Library Leadership
- Access Committee, 2001-present
- Administrative Committee, 2013-present
- Collection Development Steering Committee, 2013-present
- Committee on Collection Development, 2001-present
- Committee on Reference, 2001-present
- Digital Collections Steering Committee, 2009-2013
- Library Planning Council, 2007-2013
- Public Services Steering Committee, 2006-2013
- Ad Hoc Promotion Review Committees, 2004
- Assessment Resource Group, 2005-2007
- ASRS System User Interface Group, 2007-2009
- Accessibility Task Force, 2007-2008
- Circulation Group for New ILS System, 2008
- College Instruction and Outreach Group (CIAO), 2004-2005
- Grey Literature / Government Documents Workgroup 2002-2003
- Leadership Development Group, 2002-2003
- LibQUAL+ Implementation Team, 2003-2004
- Library Council, 2001-2007
- Public Services Planning Group, 2006
- Search Committee, Document Delivery Services Librarian, 2011-2012
- Search Committee, Reference Librarian & Instruction Specialist, 2011
- Search Committee, Head of Access Services, 2005
- Search Committee, Head of Reference and Business Information Center, 2003
- Search Committee, Law Reference Librarian, Chair 2006
- Search Committee, Law Reference Librarian, Chair, 2004
- Shelving Advisory Group, 2005-2010
- Staff Training and Development Committee, 2001-2003
- Strategic Planning Group (SPG), Chair, 2003-2004
- Virtual Access Committee, Co-chair, 2007-2011
- Virtual Access Planning Group, 2004-2005
- Web Log Group, Chair, 2008-2010