Please join us for lunch with the Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights
Thursday, October 2 at 12:15pm, Room E
Pizza will be served.
This is an exciting time to join the Young Center clinic. This year, the government is predicting that 70,000 unaccompanied immigrant children will be apprehended at the U.S. border and placed in detention and removal proceedings. In Chicago alone, there are nine detention facilities housing 500 unaccompanied children at any given time. Congress will take up Comprehensive Immigration Reform after the November elections.
Join the Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights Clinic. Students in the Young Center clinic have the opportunity for direct client service and policy work, including:
- Each student is appointed by the federal government to be a Child Advocate for individual children pursuant to the Trafficking Victims Protection Act. The role of the Child Advocate is to advocate for the best interests of individual children on issues of safe repatriation, detention and legal relief.
- Draft best interests briefs citing U.S., international and comparative law.
- Draft reports for submission to the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- Work on policy projects funded by the MacArthur Foundation.
- Meet with legislative officials in the Senate and House regarding Comprehensive Immigration Reform.