UChicagoLaw on Affordable Care Act Decision
Read the opinion.
See the transcript of our live-tweeted faculty discussion on Storify.
Quotes from the Faculty
- Prof. Anup Malani
- “The Chief Justice found a compromise nobody expected."
- “The debate over activism is more political than legal. Activism (as a concept) has been cheapened. It means ‘I disagree with the Court.’”
- "The court is going to start looking less activist whether you're on the left or the right."
- Prof. David Strauss:
- "To me the only surprising thing is that this was 5-4 and not 8-1 or 9-0."
- "This became a political fight. It stopped being a legal fight. That explains why something that should have been an open and shut case became so controversial."
- "It's not twisted logic to say it's bad policy but still constitutional."