Employment for Persons with Mental Illnesses
(Page under construction)
- Fewer than 10% of persons with serious mental illnesses are employed.
- The Federal government spend billions of dollars each year through the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs to support persons with mental illnesses who are unemployed.
- Illinois and its counties, cities and towns spend additional billions on persons with mental disabilities
- Supported employment is the most cost effective intervention for persons with serious mental illnesses.
- Illinois has successful supported employ