Documents for International Students

I-9 Required Documents

Acceptable I-9 documentation for International Students:

If F-1:

  • Foreign passport, and,
  • I-94 form with an expiration date, and
  • I-20 form (this is a document they get from OIA)

If J-1:

  • Foreign passport, and
  • I-94 form with an expiration date, and,
  • DS 2019 form (this is document they get from OIA)

These are the ONLY documents that will provide the necessary authorization for F-1 and J-1 students. There is no other combination that will work.

Read more about how to electronically obtain the I-94 form.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

If you do not already have one, you will need to obtain a Social Security number.  You may begin work before obtaining your Social Security number, but cannot be paid until the Social Security office has issued you a card and you have presented it to Brian Fitzpatrick. Go to the OIA website for information on applying for a Social Security card.