Please remember that bicycles should not be locked to any of the Law School gates, lampposts, or railings. For your convenience, bike racks are located by the east and west doors in the front of the Law School and at numerous other locations around campus.
19.2 CAMPUS TRANSPORTATION
For maps and schedules of campus transportation, see the University website at http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/transportation/transportation/.
A limited amount of street parking is available around the Law School, but these spaces are usually filled by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. when the first classes begin.
The campus lots (including the Law School lot) are controlled by the University Parking Office. If you desire parking, you need to go to the Parking Facilities Office (5525 South Ellis). If there are spaces available you will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. You have the option of putting yourself on a waitlist at the Parking Facilities Office, but this is no guarantee of a spot. Graduating law students may participate in a lottery for spaces in the Law Lot coordinated by the Office of the Dean of Students each fall.
Please note that anyone may park in the Law School lots after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays and any time on Saturdays and Sundays.
If you have questions or difficulties with parking, please contact the Parking Office directly (see http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/transportation/parking/) or see the Student Affairs Administrator.
19.4 PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
City Transportation: There are several means of transportation between Hyde Park and downtown, including the University’s nighttime bus service. For detailed information about city bus and train schedules, see http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/transportation/transportation.
- Trains: Metra runs between Hyde Park (stops at 51st-53rd Streets, 55-56-57th Streets, and 59th Street) and the Loop (Randolph Station) daily.
- The #6 bus (Jackson Park Express) originates at Wacker and Columbus downtown, stops along State Street, continues down Lake Shore Drive, and stops again along Hyde Park Boulevard and Stony Island Avenue.
- The #2 bus (Hyde Park Express/Navy Pier) runs during morning and evening rush hours. It originates at Navy Pier, goes through Streeterville to Michigan Avenue, then to State on Wacker, and from Balbo to Lake Shore. It runs express to Hyde Park and actually stops at the Law School (at University and 60th). The bus heads north to downtown in the evenings; it may be boarded in the middle of the block just east of the Law School.
- The #192 runs from the hospital campus (in front of the Student Care Center) to the El (elevated train station) at Roosevelt & State street. It runs regularly during rush hours in the morning and afternoon.
- In the evenings, try to link up with University buses when you arrive in Hyde Park-South Kenwood, or call University Police to arrange for late night van service (from 2 to 7 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights and from 1 to 4 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights ) or emergency umbrella coverage, if necessary.
- For details on bus routes, times, and fares, go online to the CTA web site at http://www.transitchicago.com/.