Alison Siegler : Curriculum Vitae
Georgetown University Law Center
LLM in Advocacy, May 2006
Yale Law School
- Yale Law Journal, Senior Editor
- Yale Journal of Law & the Humanities, Executive Editor
- Coker Fellow: Teaching assistant and legal writing instructor for Professor Peter Schuck
BA in Humanities, magna cum laude, 1995
- Honors in the selective Humanities Major for distinguished classwork and thesis
Yale in London Program, London, England
- Studied at Yale’s Paul Mellon Center for British Art
The University of Chicago Law School
Associate Clinical Professor of Law, 2011-present; Assistant Clinical Professor of Law, 2008-2011; Director of the Federal Criminal Justice Clinic, 2008-present; Lecturer-in-Law, 2007
- Founded and direct the nation’s only legal clinic solely devoted to representing indigent defendants charged with federal felonies. Represent clients in U.S. District Court, in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and in petitions for writs of certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States; write amicus briefs to the Supreme Court. Train and supervise law students appearing in court.
- Faculty advisor to four student organizations (Defenders; the Law Women’s Caucus; the Criminal Law Society; the Domestic Violence Project).
- Comment advisor for The University of Chicago Law Review.
- Honorable Mention for the Class of 2011 Award.
Federal Defender Program, Chicago, IL
Staff Attorney, 2002-2008
- Represented indigent clients charged with federal crimes in the federal District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Represented clients at every stage of the criminal process, including serving as lead counsel in federal jury trials, Seventh Circuit appeals, and petitions for writs of certiorari to the Supreme Court.
DePaul University College of Law
Lecturer, 2005, 2006
Georgetown University Law Center
E. Barrett Prettyman Fellow, Georgetown Criminal Justice Clinic, 2000-2002
- Represented indigent clients charged with felonies and misdemeanors in D.C. Superior Court; taught and supervised third-year law students representing misdemeanor clients in court; taught weekly trial practice and skills classes.
Judge Robert W. Gettleman, U.S. District Court, N.D. Ill.
Law Clerk, 1998-2000
Public Defender Service, Washington, DC
Law Clerk, Summer 1998
Capital Defender Office, New York, NY
Law Clerk, Summer 1997
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, Chicago, IL
Summer Associate, Summer 1997
New Haven Legal Assistance Assoc., Special Public Defender, New Haven, CT
Extern, Spring 1997
Barrister, Chicago Inn of Court
Admitted to practice in Illinois & the District of Columbia
Member, Seventh Circuit Bar
Member, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Bar
Member, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
Member of Senator Durbin’s Bipartisan Screening Committee for Federal Judges in the N.D. Ill.
Member of the Board of Directors, Federal Bar Association Chicago Chapter
Member of the Board of Directors, Illinois Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Member of the Board of Advisors, American Constitution Society Chicago Lawyer Chapter
Member, American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section