Brian Leiter : Additional Activities
HONORS & AWARDS
- Mathew O. Tobriner Memorial Lecture on Constitutional Law, University of California, Hastings College of Law, San Francisco, January 2015.
- Fresco Lectures, Faculty of Law, University of Genoa, Italy, October 2014.
- Isaac Backus American Freedoms Lecture, La Sierra University, Riverside, CA, February 2014.
- Hansford M. Epes Distinguished Lecture in the Humanities, Davidson College, North Carolina, November 2013.
- Dan and Gwen Taylor Lecture, Department of Philosophy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, August 2013.
- Julius Stone Address in Jurisprudence, Faculty of Law, University of Sydney, Australia, August 2013.
- Seegers Lecture on Jurisprudence, Law School, Valparaiso University, Indiana, November 2012.
- Bernd Magnus Lecture, Department of Philosophy, University of California, Riverside, March 2012
- Meador Lecture, School of Law, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, September 2011
- Leon Green '15 Lecture in Jurisprudence, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, March 2011
- Mary Olive Woods Lecture, Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies, Western Illinois University, September 2010
- Fresco Lectures, Faculty of Law, University of Genoa, Italy, March 2008
- Dunbar Lecture in Law and Philosophy, School of Law and Department of Philosophy, University of Mississippi, Oxford, March 2008
- ‘Or ‘Emet Lecture, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, March 2006
- Conference on “Philosophy in the Public Sphere,” O.P. Jindal Global University, Sonipat, Haryana (NCR of Dehli), India, November 2014.
- Conference on “The Spectacle of Toleration,” Newport Historical Society & others, Newport, Rhode Island, October 2013.
- Australian Society of Legal Philosophy Annual Meeting, Sydney, August 2013.
- Danish Philosophical Association Annual Meeting, Odense, March 2013.
- Keynote Address, Summer Workshop on Law, Religion & Culture, Law School, University of Colorado, Boulder, July 2011
- Keynote Address, Conference on Legal Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, May 2011
- Keynote Address, Conference on “Mind and Nature,” annual meeting of the Friedrich Nietzsche Society of Great Britain, Oxford University, UK, September 2009
- Keynote Address, Conference on “How Do We Keep Knowing?” Glasscock Center for Humanities Research, Texas A&M University, College Station, October 2008
- Keynote Address, Graduate Conference, Department of Philosophy, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA, November 2006
- Keynote Address, Conference on “Nietzsche and Ethics,” annual meeting of the Friedrich Nietzsche Society of Great Britain, University of Sussex, UK, September 2004
- Keynote Address, Inaugural Conference of the Institute for Law & Philosophy, Rutgers University School of Law, Camden, NJ, June 2004
Awards & Fellowships
- Visiting Fellow, John Fleming Centre for Advancement of Legal Research, College of Law, Australian National University, Canberra, August 2007
- Finalist (for Nietzsche on Morality), Robert W. Hamilton Book Awards, University of Texas, Austin (award for best book published by a UT Austin faculty member in the prior year; there are 3 finalists), 2004
- Harold Gill Reuschlein Distinguished Visiting Chair at Villanova Law School for 2003-04 (declined)
- "Legal Realism and Legal Positivism Reconsidered" (Ethics, 2001) chosen as "one of the ten best articles in philosophy" to appear in 2001 by The Philosopher's Annual
- Awarded the Joseph D. Jamail Centennial Chair in Law, University of Texas, Austin, 2002 (youngest faculty member in the history of the law school to be awarded an endowed chair).
- Research Internship, Graduate School, University of Texas, Austin, 2000-2001 (fellowship for incoming Ph.D. student, awarded on a competitive basis to graduate faculty to use as a tool for recruiting top students to Austin)
- Best Research Paper Award, University of Texas, Austin, 1997-1998 (for "Nietzsche and the Morality Critics," published in Ethics ; one of two papers honored in a university-wide competition)
- Awarded the Joe A. Worsham Centennial Professorship in Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1997 (first faculty member in the history of the school to be awarded an endowed professorship simultaneous with receiving tenure)
- Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, 1992-1993
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1992-1993 (declined)
- Nelson Research Fellowship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Winter Term, 1991-1992
- Regents Fellowship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1988-1991
- Certificate of Merit (as best student in class on "Legal Realism and the Critical Legal Studies Movement"), University of Michigan Law School, 1985
Teaching Evaluations & Honors
- Average instructor rating of 4.6 (out of 5.0) for all large classes over roughly the last decade
- "Professor of the Year": elected by the student body, University of San Diego School of Law, 1994-1995
- "Outstanding Teaching Assistant": nominated by the Department of Philosophy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1991-1992
- Presses: Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Harvard University Press, University of Illinois Press, Routledge, Oneworld.
- Journals: Journal of the History of Philosophy, Legal Theory, Law and Philosophy, Ethics, Philosophy & Phenomenological Research, Polity, Canadian Journal of Philosophy, Philosophy & Phenomenological Research, Science in Context, European Journal of Philosophy, American Philosophical Quarterly.
- Departments (Philosophy): Central European University (Hungary); University of South Florida; Arizona State University. (Many others informally.)
- Law Schools: Emory University.
- Tenure/Promotion/Reappointment/Senior Lateral Appointment: Cardozo Law School/Yeshiva University; Birkbeck College, University of London (Philosophy) (twice); University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (Law); Brigham Young University (Law); University College London (Philosophy); Stanford University (Philosophy) (twice); University of Warwick (UK) (Philosophy); University of Auckland (NZ) (Philosophy); George Mason University (Law) (twice); Colgate University (Philosophy); Seattle Pacific University (Philosophy); Brown University (Philosophy); Johns Hopkins University (Philosophy) (twice); McMaster University (CA) (Philosophy); University of California, Los Angeles (Law); University of California, Riverside (Philosophy); Princeton University (Politics); Harvard University (Kennedy School); University of Colorado, Boulder (Law); Georgia State University (Law).
- Foundations/Fellowships: American Council of Learned Societies (reviewer for philosophy proposals and law proposals, 2003-05); Israel Science Foundation.
- Editor, Oxford Studies in the Philosophy of Law, 2009-present (with Leslie Green [Oxford])
- Editor, Legal Theory, 2000-2008 (with Larry Alexander [San Diego] and Jules Coleman [Yale].
- Advisory Board, 2000-2008
- Editorial Board, 1994-1998, 2009-present
- Series Editor, The Routledge Philosophers (book series), 2001-present.
- Board of Advisors, Routledge International Library of Philosophy (book series), 2000-present. (with Jonathan Barnes [Paris], Fred Dretske [Stanford/Duke], Frances Kamm [Harvard], Huw Price [Sydney], and Sydney Shoemaker [Cornell]; Series editors: José Bermudez [Washington University, St. Louis], Tim Crane [London], and Peter Sullivan [Stirling]).
- Editorial Board, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (on-line) (Gary Gutting [Notre Dame], Editor), 2001-present.
- Consulting Editor, Epistēmē: A Journal of Social Epistemology (Alvin Goldman [Rutgers], Philip Kitcher [Columbia], Helen Longino [Stanford], Executive Editors), 2002-2003.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Moral Philosophy: An International Journal of Moral, Political and Legal Philosophy (Thom Brooks [Newcastle], ed.), 2004-present.
- Editorial Board, IVR Encyclopedia of Jurisprudence, Legal Theory and Philosophy of Law, (Alexander Peczenik [Lund], ed.), 2005-present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Nietzsche Studies (Christa Davis Acompora [Hunter/CUNY], ed.), 2008-present.
- Consulting Editor, Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy (Sven Ove Hansson [Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm], ed. ), 2008-2012 (current term).
- Nominating Editor, The Philosopher’s Annual (Kenneth Baynes [Syracuse], Patrick Grim [Stony Brook], Peter Ludlow [Toronto], and Gary Mar [Stony Brooks], eds.), 2008-present.
- Editorial Board, Oxford Bibliographies Online: Philosophy (Duncan Pritchard [Edinburgh], ed.), 2009-present.
- Scientific Committee, Chair of Legal Culture, University of Girona, Spain, 2009-present.
- Editorial Committee, Anilisi e Diritto: Ricerche di Giurisprudenza Analitica (Paolo Comanducci & Riccardo Guastini [Genoa], eds.), 2010-present.
- Editorial Board, Problema: Anuario de Filosofía y Teoría del Derecho (Enrique Cáceres Nieto, Imer B. Flores, & Juan Vega Gómez [UNAM], eds.), 2010-present.
Membership and Positions
- Steering Committee, annual Analytic Legal Philosophy Conference, 2003-present (with Larry Alexander, Jules Coleman, John Gardner, Stephen Perry, Joseph Raz, Jeremy Waldron, and [since 2005] Seana Shiffrin).
- Steering Commmittee, Experiment Month Project, Program in Cognitive Science, Yale University (T. Gendler & J. Knobe, directors), 2009-present.
- Secretary, Jurisprudence Section of the Association of American Law Schools, 1996.
- Program Committee, North American Nietzsche Society, 1998-2001.
- Member, American Philosophical Association, in the early 1990s, and 2002-present.
- Advisory Board, Center for Naturalism, Somerville, MA, 2005-present (with Paul Bloom [Yale], Daniel Dennett [Tufts], Owen Flanagan [Duke], and others).
- Director and Foundenter, Center for Law, Philosophy & Human Values, University of Chicago, 2008-present
- Tenure Committee, Law School, University of Chicago, 2008-2009
- Director and Founder, Law and Philosophy Program, University of Texas, Austin, 1998-2008
- Dean Search Committee, Law School, University of Texas, Austin, 2006 (by appointment of Provost).
- Chair, Law & Philosophy Program Search Committee, University of Texas, Austin, 2004-05, 2006-07
- Chair, Graduates Studies Committee, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1999-present
- Advisor, Persons Interested in Teaching Law, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1996-1998, 1999-present
- Appointments Committee (incl. Lateral Appointments Subcommittee), School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1996-1998, 1999-2004, 2006-2007 (Chair, Appointments, 1997-98; Chair, Laterals Subcommittee, 1999-2000)
- Long-Term Planning Committee, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 2001-2002 (Chair, Working Group on Faculty Hiring and Retention)
- Faculty Advisor, Student Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, 2000-present
- Admissions Committee, Department of Philosophy, University of Texas, Austin, 1999-2001, 2002-2004
- Search Committee, Department of Philosophy, University of Texas, Austin, 1997-1998, 1999-2000
- Placement Committee, Department of Philosophy, University of Texas, Austin, 1997-1998
- Interdisciplinary Issues Committee, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1997-1998
- Library Committee, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1995-1997 (Chair, Fall 1996)
- Standards Committee, School of Law, University of Texas, Austin, 1995-1997
- Admissions Committee, School of Law, University of San Diego, 1993-1995
Other Professional Experience and Activities
- Editor and author, The Philosophical Gourmet Report, annually since 1989, every other year since 2002.
- Author & Publisher, A Ranking of U.S. Law Schools by Educational Quality, annually 1997-2000, periodically since 2000.
- Litigation Associate, Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler, New York, NY, 1987-88 (admitted to the New York Bar, 1988 [now inactive]).