Brian Citro : Curriculum Vitae
THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW SCHOOL, Chicago, IL
Juris Doctor, June 2010
- Co-founder and Chairman, Human Rights Law Society
- Burton & Adreinne Glazov Scholar.
- International Human Rights Summer Fellow, selected by Martha Nussbaum.
- Chicago Law Foundation grant recipient for public interest work.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DeKalb, IL
Bachelor of Music: Music Performance with an emphasis in Jazz Studies, May 2001
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM: HIV, HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT, Spring Lake, MI
Legal Consultant – Implementation of the report of the Global Commission on HIV and the Law, March 2013 - present
- Developed a compendium of judgments involving HIV for use in judicial trainings globally; researched and drafted briefs of judgments from domestic, regional and international jurisdictions, involving access to treatment, criminalization of transmission, discrimination, men who have sex with men, migrants and prisoners.
LAWYERS COLLECTIVE: HIV/AIDS UNIT, New Delhi, India and Spring Lake, MI
Project Manager – Global Health and Human Rights Database, September 2010 – September 2011, October 2012 –April 2013
- Managed all aspects of the development of the Global Health and Human Rights Database (Fall 2013 launch), containing over 1,500 judgments from domestic, regional and international jurisdictions.
- Conducted research and drafted briefs of judgments involving health and human rights from domestic, regional and international jurisdictions.
- Supervised project staff members, including one full-time attorney and multiple interns.
- Developed and managed an international network of over 50 organizational and individual partners.
- Designed and developed all aspects of the database website.
OFFICE OF THE UNITED NATIONS SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR ON THE RIGHT TO HEALTH, MR. ANAND GROVER, New Delhi, India
Senior Research Officer, June 2011 – March 2013
- Conducted three UN country fact-finding missions with the Special Rapporteur examining realization of the right to health in Viet Nam, Azerbaijan and Tajikistan; mission activities included high-level government meetings, field visits, and consultation with international organizations and civil society.
- Researched and drafted three corresponding country mission reports, in consultation with government and civil society, presented to the UN Human Rights Council reporting on realization of the right to health in the areas of HIV/AIDS, TB, mental health, health systems and financing, and access to medicines, among others.
- Researched and drafted four thematic reports presented to the UN General Assembly and UN Human Rights Council on the right to health and health financing, occupational health, sexual and reproductive health, and development; activities included convening and managing a group of expert contributors for each report.
- Organized, supervised and participated in three regional UN consultations on the right to health, in Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and Southern Africa; each consultation consisted of 30 to 40 participants, including civil society, community groups and academics from the region.
- Managed and drafted UN Special Procedures complaints involving violations of the right to health submitted to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and communicated complaints to Member States.
- Administered the Office of the Special Rapporteur, including drafting communications and press releases, supervising interns, coordinating activities of the Special Rapporteur with OHCHR and civil society globally, and all grant and funding administration.
LAMBDA LEGAL, Chicago, IL
Legal Internship, Summer 2009
- Drafted a motion to intervene in defense of a law granting legal protections to same-sex domestic partners.
- Conducted research for a medical insurance suit brought by an HIV+ plaintiff against his insurance company, which declined to provide coverage for his medication. LAWYERS COLLECTIVE:WOMEN’S RIGHTS INITIATIVE, New Delhi, India International Human Rights Summer Fellow, Summer 2009
- Assisted Additional Solicitor General of India, Indira Jaising, in preparation for oral argument in the Supreme Court of India.
- Analyzed country reports and NGO shadow reports and drafted questions for UN CEDAW Committee member Indira Jaising in preparation for the 44th Session of the CEDAW Committee.
EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION PROJECT, Chicago, IL
Clinical Studies Program Student Participant, January – December 2009
- Drafted discovery motions for a Title VII employment discrimination suit brought on the ground of race.
- Conducted depositions, interviewed clients, and collected and analyzed evidence.LEGAL RESOURCES CENTER, Accra, Ghana
Human Rights Law Internship, Summer 2008
- Conducted client interviews and collected evidence for constitutional right to shelter litigation.
- Developed an Alternative Dispute Resolution training manual and assisted in the development of a community policing initiative targeting underprivileged communities in Accra.
- Researched and drafted a proposal to fund strategic gender-related litigation, drafted an organizational gender policy, and drafted a report on the Chieftaincy institution and good governance in Ghana.
MISSISSIPPI CENTER FOR JUSTICE, Jackson and Biloxi, MS
Legal Volunteer, Spring 2008 and 2009
The Mississippi Center for Justice is a public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice.
- Assisted in Hurricane relief efforts: interviewed clients and prepared documents for contractor fraud litigation.
- Surveyed and conducted research on predatory lending: interviewed lenders and low-income borrowers; conducted research on local lending practices and state lending regulations; presented findings to community leaders at town-hall meeting.