Physical Fitness & Bodywork
Below you will find a list of University and local Hyde Park fitness resources, including gyms, martial art studios, and holistic therapies (massage, accupressure, etc.).
University of Chicago Resources
- FitChicago provides group fitness classes, Fitness Center orientation sessions, and personal training services for Ratner Center members. Group classes include bellydance, boot camp, cardio kickboxing, full-body workout, muscle tone, pilates, water aerobics, yoga, and zumba. Click here to check out the current schedule of fitness classes.
- Intramural Sports; University of Chicago Law School students have been known to take part in various intramural sports activities. Talk with your classmates or the Office of the Dean of Students to find out about any current Law School intramural teams. In addition, check out this list of campus sports clubs.
- Ratner Athletics Center: 5530 South Ellis Avenue
- University of Chicago Division of Physical Education and Athletics
- University of Chicago Yoga Club (a student organization that runs drop-in Iyengar yoga classes three times a week)
Hyde Park Resources
- Bally Total Fitness (Hyde Park location: 1301 East 47th Street)
- Chaturanga Holistic Fitness (an interdisciplinary holistic fitness studio offering dance, yoga, pilates, and meditation classes; located in the Deco Arts Building at 1525 East 55th Street)
- East Point Associates, Ltd. (offering acupuncture, massage, and Qi Gong classes; located in the Hyde Park Bank building at 1525 East 53rd Street, suite 705)
- Fitzgerald’s Martial Arts (offers Tang Soo Do classes to men, women, and children; located at 1742 E 55th Street)
- Happy Body Wellness Center (offering exercise classes, fitness training, yoga, and massage; located at 1715 East 55th Street)
- Hyde Park School of Dance (offering ballet, modern, and yoga classes for adults; located at 5650 South Woodlawn Avenue near campus; discounted class rates for U of C students)
- Joan’s Studio for the Performing Arts (offers music and movement classes for children and adults; located at 1438 East 57th Street)
- Ki Massage and Bodywork (by Kimosha Murphy, CMT, LMT; located in the Hyde Park Bank building at 1525 East 53rd Street)