Clinic Wins Million Dollar Settlement for Homeless Man Wrongfully Accused of Murder
The Mandel Clinic worked to free a vulnerable young man who was coerced by Chicago police detectives into giving a false confession to the brutal murder of his own mother. The Clinic also exposed the identity of the real killer, a serial rapist who attacked a number of African American women who lived in the same neighborhood, and later won a million dollar settlement for our client. In addition, the Clinic's work on the case brought national attention to the phenomenon of false confessions, played a prominent role in our nation's death penalty debate, including the Illinois Governor's decision to implement a moratorium, spawned legislation in Illinois and elsewhere that requires the videotaping of police interrogations, and caused the Cook County State's Attorney to implement training of all prosecutors on how to recognize the potential false confessions.
- University's Collaborative Efforts Win Justice for Gentle Giant (University of Chicago Chronicle, 10/19/06)
- Confession Forced, Freed Man Says (Chicago Tribune, 10/12/06)
- Wrongly Imprisoned Man Sues CPD (Chicago Defender, 7/16/02)
- Wrongfully Accused Man Sues Cops (Chicago Sun-Times, 7/16/02)
- Cops Urged To Tape Their Interrogations (Chicago Tribune, 1/6/02)
- DNA Voids Murder Confession (Chicago Tribune, 1/5/02)